In 1879 Woollahra Public School opened with three rooms and 300 children. By 1891 extensions were completed and the enrolment was 1200. As the children became older and the school catered for seniors, its name was changed to Woollahra Superior Public School. Since the 1930s Woollahra has been one of the few Sydney schools to have 'OC' (opportunity) classes. These cater for the intellectually gifted children from the Eastern Suburbs who spend their 5th and 6th years in the school. In 1961 the name changed to Woollahra Demonstration School because of the contribution the school was making to teacher education. Because the Alexander Mackie Teachers College moved to Oatley in 1979, the school was no longer attached to their teaching program and the name changed again to Woollahra Public School. However, many overseas, interstate and State educators still frequently visit the school.
THE HOUSE THAT BEN BUILT: A CHILD'S HISTORY OF WOOLLAHRA SCHOOL
was written by teacher Jennifer Reidy in 1978 for the children of Woollahra Public School as part of the school's Centenary Celebrations. House That Ben Built (pdf, 5023 KB)
WOOLLAHRA'S MURAL painted by Australian artist, Gary Shead in 1978
Woollahra Public School has obtained permission to publish the following article published in The Australian Women's Weekly, 17 May, 1978. Woollahra PS's mural (pdf, 962 KB)